Chemgoddess' Rant-a-litious Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2008
On this day:

More than a month...

At least it isn't as bad a hiatus as my sister (hint, hint sis). Lots has been going on and I just haven't had time to blog about it. I don't really have time today either. Here are the highlights:
.
* I went to visit a friend (who is also a colleague) when she was at her second home over spring break. It was nice to escape from the hamlet of hell if only for a few days.
.
* I am dating a new guy (not just a date or two and had nothing come of it). He's a sweet guy and a lot of fun. He also happens to be adorable, financially stable, and seems okay with me being waaaaaay more "degreed" than him (he didn't go to college). He took me to a BBQ at his friends last night. I've met his son too. And we've only been dating three weeks. It's a little strange because I generally move much slower on the 'meet family and friends' thing. He's clearly more on the side of 'jump into the deep end of things'.
.
* Work has been crazy busy. I don't know why I am always surprised by the amount of work to do this time of year... it's always the same. We are starting to get into crunch time for the semester end. That means writing assignments start flooding in, lab set-ups get more complicated, and pretty soon I will have to start thinking about make-up tests. Ugh.
.
* A tree fell on my house Thursday when we had high winds. Here are some pics (look for the city light on my property for scale - it's on a standard size electric pole):





When I got home and saw the tree from my carport, I freaked out a little. Once it stopped raining and I had a chance to calm down (and maybe drink about five frickin' beers), I saw that it wasn't as bad as I thought. It sheared off the entire overhang on that side of the carport (soffit, fascia, decking, drip edge, gutter, and shingles. It also ripped a large portion of shingles off the main part of the carport and poked a hole through it (which isn't clearly visible in the pics). The upside is that it didn't poke through the house part of the roof, only took off some shingles. It also didn't crash through a window or break my gas line (which comes into the house just about directly below and over 8 feet from where the tree fell. AND, I haven't yet painted that side of the house so the scrapes or other cosmetic stuff from the tree falling or when it gets removed won't be heartbreaking either. I'm just not sure what I did to the house gods to deserve this. First the plumbing, then the foundation, then the roof, and now a big ass tree on the (new) fucking roof! Well, maybe I am not quite over it...
.
That's all the big news from my small pocket of the world. I won't bother you with the minutia of my day to day. Maybe some other time when I don't have two tests to write for tomorrow. Have a wonderful week. Let me know if you need any firewood.

1 Comments:

  • I thought this was going to be so much worse. If the tree had to fall your way, it looks as though it hit perfectly to do the least amount of damage.

    Hopefully you won't get involved in a long, drawn out argument with the insurance company and can get it fixed in time to paint.

    Aren't you glad you didn't start on that side?

    Maybe it's time to put in a fireplace??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment