Chemgoddess' Rant-a-litious Blog

Sunday, December 09, 2007
On this day:

Almost Done!

Man, what a rough week! I really hate the last week of school. It is entirely my own fault. I only allow make-up exams the last week of class. This means that I find myself writing somewhere between five and seven exams in three days. I procrastinate. I could write the make-up versions as I write the original test during the semester. But no. I don't.

Anyway, those are finally over and all the tests are graded. All I have left is the final and I make that all multiple choice. Yeay for scantrons! During the semester, the tests are half short answer/problem but not the final. They only have two hours and I give cumulative finals. Call me a hard-ass but I think that's how it should be in college. Many instructors here do not subscribe to this format. I think they suck.

Speaking of sucking, my online geography class was on par with my worst college class experience ever. It was miserable. I think of myself as fairly forgiving (being an instructor myself) but this class was just ridiculous. We had assignments that were not mentioned in the syllabus or announced on the home page. The only way to find out about them was to check your grades and notice that there were uncompleted assignments. I didn't notice them until today. Really, that was just luck. I knew what my grades were (they are reported to you when you submit your answers). I meant to follow a different link and just hit the wrong radio button on the menu. Good grief! Asinine. Oh, and don't even get me started about the multiple emails I've sent asking if I may get the answers to the questions I scored wrong on as I cannot find the correct answer in the textbook. I've sent a half dozen emails concerning this query. No response. She is horrible! I guess the upside to this is that I did just take the class for my own amusement and education. I'm auditing it and have no intention of trying to "go on" either here or elsewhere. I would be seriously bent out of shape if this class mattered. As it is, I am still pissed that I have to consider her a colleague. And to add insult to injury, she gets paid more per credit hour for this course than I do for mine because it is online! Damn science classes. The school won't invest the money to get an online version put together with kits for the students to borrow to do lab experiments at home. Aaargh. I just can't believe she gets paid so much money to literally do NOTHING. The student helper grades the project and the tests are multiple choice with the program grading automatically on submission.

Not much else is new. I ran into a guy from my painting class this afternoon. He has moved onto a four year university and is doing well. I really like this kid and I am so happy to hear that things are going well. He is incredibly bright and definitely has a solid future if he sees this education thing to the end.

I really don't want to work on updating the final for my intro chem class. It will take all of twenty minutes but I cannot seem to get up the steam to get it done. I am thinking about just taking off for the evening and doing it tomorrow morning. Always a sketchy proposition since they have to TAKE the final at 10am. Sigh.

I'm totally stoked about christmas break. I miss my family and am really looking forward to seeing everyone. And also getting the out of this hamlet of hell.

I think that I am going to seriously consider going on the job market next year. I wanted to stay for a longer time to get the house in shape and establish myself further but I really hate it here. There is just nothing to do. And the dating situation is bleak. Blah. The only upside is that this leaves me, literally, hours to hang at the gym. I'm still not bench pressing what I was at the end of water polo season a few years back but I am definitely in better shape than when I left the far north. I think I have also convinced some of my gym buddies to sign up for a triathlon sometime next spring/summer. In preparation, I've been trying to start a running regiment again and now I remember how much I hate running for running's sake. Ugh.

My mom regularly walks my brother's dog and I hope to start going with her when I am home for break. It's not running but I will (hopefully) not be set back as far as I would be if I just sat on my ass the whole time.

Oh, is anyone other than my mother done with christmas shopping??? Geez. I am so jealous. I have, in fact, planned to not be done until after christmas. I'm cheating a little. I have plans to see both my best friends after christmas so I figure I may be able to score some good deals on their gifts if I wait. This means I won't be done with christmas shopping until almost new year's. Baahahaha. This is funny and miserable at the same time!

Guess that's it from the stanky pit of the "Show Me" state. Speaking of... who thought that that was a great slogan??? 'Tards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment